Vision and School Success | Eye Pieces Plano
Vision plays an essential role in a child's learning and development, with up to 80% of learning being dependent on good vision.
Undetected vision problems can lead to misdiagnosis of learning difficulties or ADHD. Additionally, 1 in 10 children experience visual skill challenges that hinder their academic and athletic performance, negatively impacting their self-esteem and confidence.
Instead of waiting for your child to encounter difficulties with reading, seeing the board, or participating in sports, make early detection and intervention a priority with the help of Eye Pieces Plano.
School Vision Screenings vs. Comprehensive Eye Exams for Children
Pediatric or school vision screenings often focus on identifying obvious abnormalities or issues with your child's eyes. However, for optimal vision and healthy eye development, it is important to schedule a comprehensive eye exam to assess multiple aspects of eye and vision health.
What is Assessed During a Pediatric Eye Exam?
During a pediatric eye exam, we’ll assess the following:
- Eye Focusing: The ability to focus on objects at different distances.
- Depth Perception: Testing the perception of depth and spatial awareness.
- Color Perception: The ability to distinguish and identify colors accurately.
- Eye Tracking: How well the eyes can smoothly track moving objects.
- Eye Muscle Teaming: Coordination and alignment of the eye muscles.
- Peripheral Awareness: The extent of vision outside the central field of view.
- Near Visual Acuity: Clarity of vision for close-up tasks.
- Distance Visual Acuity: Sharpness of vision for objects at a distance.
How Often Should a Child Have an Eye Exam?
- First comprehensive eye exam: Starting at 6 months of age.
- Subsequent exams: Around age 3 and again around age 5.
- School-aged children without vision correction: Eye exam every two years.
- Children with eyeglasses or contact lenses: Annual exams or as advised by the eye doctor.
Glasses for Kids
Eye Pieces Plano offers a diverse selection of safe and age-appropriate eyeglasses for children who need vision correction. This includes styles, shapes, and colors that appeal to young patients.
All our frames prioritize comfort and durability and are made from kid-friendly materials, meaning they can withstand the rough and tumbles of childhood.
Teenagers can also enjoy scaled-down versions of the latest fashion trends, tailored to fit their faces.
We also offer athletic eyewear for children involved in sports to enhance performance and protect their eyes from potential sports-related injuries.
Let your child experience the freedom of contact lenses.
If your child is self-conscious about wearing glasses or is quite active, contact lenses can give them the freedom and confidence they need.
Contacts enhance natural eye color, provide the convenience of not having to worry about losing or breaking glasses, and enable children to participate in activities and sports seamlessly.
Set up a contact lens eye exam with Eye Pieces Plano today.
Your Child Deserves the Best Eye Care
Eye Pieces Plano’s pediatric optometry division consists of a team of experienced professionals who work tirelessly to ensure children have healthy eyesight for a lifetime.
We strongly encourage you to make pediatric eye exams a priority. We’re more than eager to help you find an effective solution for any visual issues your child may be experiencing.