Your glasses, both lenses and frames, have the ability to transmit infections, including COVID-19, to your eyes, nose and mouth via your hands.
According to the Journal of Hospital Infection, COVID-19 can survive on glass for up to four days. It can also be identified on stainless steel and plastic — materials used to manufacture glasses — for up to three days.
One way you can clean your glasses is by using a cleaning spray which your Plano eye doctor will provide you with. Make sure you follow your eye doctor’s instructions on how to clean your specific glasses, as each frame, lens material and coating is different.
If you run out or can’t get cleaning spray from your eye doctor, here are some tips on how to clean your glasses.
Use soap and water
Liquid soap and water provide good protection against viruses and bacteria. Here's how to keep your glasses germ-free:
- Wash your hands with soap, and dry them with a lint-free towel or paper towel.
- Rinse the lenses with water to prevent specks of dirt from damaging your lenses.
- Apply a drop of dish soap to the lenses and gently massage it around with a microfiber cloth. Disposable lens wipes are fine, too.
- Remember to clean the nose pads and behind-the-ear pieces as well as the edge where the lens meets the frame.
Rince the glasses with water and dry them with a microfiber cloth, or simply air dry.
Clean your glasses after being out in public
We are often unaware of how frequently we touch our faces, eyes and nose, which is why handwashing is so crucial.
Whether you wear prescription or non-prescription glasses, make sure to clean them after a trip to the grocery store or any place where you’ve been around other people.
Don’t blow on glasses
Many people try to clean their lenses by steaming them up with their breath. Blowing on your lenses can cause them to become even more contaminated.
Don’t use bleach or rubbing alcohol
Don’t use sanitizing cleaning solutions that contain alcohol or bleach, as they can be harsh on anti-reflective or non-glare lens coatings. They might also weaken the frame.
It's easy to clean your glasses. Doing so can safeguard your health and keep your glasses in the best possible condition.
Contact Eye Pieces Plano in Plano if you have any further questions related to your eye health.
Frequently Asked Questions
- A: A thorough cleaning of your glasses should take no more than 10 minutes and regular maintenance should take no more than 5 minutes (and just a minute or two, if you incorporate glasses-washing into your hand-washing routine).
- A: No. Household cleaning/antibacterial wipes may ruin your lenses, so avoid using them.
Quality Frames For Prescription Eyeglasses & Computer Glasses. Visit Eye Pieces Plano for an eye exam and eyeglasses that match your style.